POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pauseless GC now available : Re: Pauseless GC now available Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pauseless GC now available
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 14 Aug 2012 09:18:27
Message: <502a5023$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-08-14 04:35, Invisible a écrit :
>>> So you're saying that the fact that British Telecom plc could only
>>> afford
>>> 25.2GB of spinning disk for a mission-critical system means that they're
>>> "not big enough" to play with the Big Boys? :-P
>
>> How many power companies did BT get their power from? Was it
>> mission-critical enough that if one of the power plants exploded, they'd
>> still be online?
>
> It wasn't /that/ mission-critical. It was only their fault-reporting
> database, not one of the actual call routine systems or anything like that.
>
> Still, if it's as trivial as you claim to have multiple TB of RAM back
> in 1995, why didn't they do that?

Because they didn't need to.

If their fault reporting system was able to run just fine on a system
using 1 raid array of 4GB disks, there was no need to have it run on a
more powerful system. (Side note:  the PC I bought in 99 had a 20GB HD,
so those 4.2GB disks were probably already a few years old.)

Also, 128GB is not multiple TB.