POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Klingon Raptor : Re: Klingon Raptor Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Klingon Raptor
From: clipka
Date: 14 Aug 2012 05:44:21
Message: <502a1df5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.08.2012 09:51, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 13-8-2012 14:06, Tail Kinker wrote:
>
>> There were two light sources in the scene.  The ship is simply quite
>> dark.  I should probably brighten it up.
>
> The image makes me musing about how an object would look like in deep
> space, far from any star. The views like Startrek and such are probably
> frankly unrealistic. A starry background would mark the silhouette, but
> I wonder how bright would be a realistic illumination, independently of
> the /brightness/ of the object itself...

It's actually pretty easy to simulate: Just downsample a HDR star
background into a single pixel (make sure to use linear math, i.e. at a
gamma of 1.0) - that's the colour a perfectly white convex object (e.g.
a spectralon sphere) would have.

In other words: It would appear somewhere close to pitch black.