POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pauseless GC now available : Re: Pauseless GC now available Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pauseless GC now available
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Aug 2012 12:27:52
Message: <5027d988$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/12/2012 2:23, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> I like how the algorithm description is sufficiently vague that you can't
> tell how it actually works.

It was four clicks away, with the previous three clicks giving successively
more detailed descriptions.

http://labs.oracle.com/jtech/pubs/04-g1-paper-ismm.pdf

You're welcome.

> it "detects" any attempt to access a moved object, but again doesn't say
> how.

Memory mapping. It traps on reading the memory that hasn't been fixed yet,
then fixed up the entire page worth of references, then marks the memory as
readable.

> Since it's impossible to have a machine with 140GB of RAM,

Since when is it impossible? We had 128G of RAM on the Sparcstation we used
back in 1995 or so. And that wasn't even a mainframe.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"