POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pauseless GC now available : Re: Pauseless GC now available Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pauseless GC now available
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Aug 2012 05:23:39
Message: <5027761b$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/08/2012 01:40 AM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/08/azul-zing-free
>
> I am pretty sure this means it's real-time GC.

Oh thank God. They've had this magical silver bullet all along, and now
they've /finally/ released it to the rest of the world. How did we ever
manage without it? :-P

I like how the algorithm description is sufficiently vague that you
can't tell how it actually works. It claims to be able to mark
concurrently "without live objects escaping the collector's reach", but
doesn't explain how. It says it can delete a page after all objects have
been relocated, and it "detects" any attempt to access a moved object,
but again doesn't say how. (It sure /sounds/ like they're saying they do
some O(n) operation on every single pointer read, which is of course
absurd.) Come to think of it, they say they use page features to
implement some of this stuff - which is interesting, since only the OS
can do that...

Also,

   "Initial in-memory tests on the full Wikipedia English-language site
index show Zing is truly pauseless while managing a heap in excess of
140 GB."

Since it's impossible to have a machine with 140GB of RAM, what's the
point of having a heap that large? It'll just spend forever swapping.
Surely you'd get far better performance by implementing some explicit
file handling yourself?