POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The end of an era : Re: The end of an era Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The end of an era
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Aug 2012 14:27:19
Message: <5026a407$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:18:22 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> This has been described, fairly accurately, as, "Republicans move more
> right, so the Democrats move right to compromise with them, only to have
> the Republicans move more right again." At best, the Dems have become
> centrist, most would call them center-right, and "liberal" is some place
> on a different planet from them. When Obama got elected this trend
> became, "Democrats try to reclaim some vague semblance of progressive
> ideals, Republicans move so far right that **they** are now on a
> completely different planet as well, and they left the subspace radio at
> home." Its like watching some old black and white slapstick act, where
> one idiot is on the end of a balance beam, holding on by their fingers,
> and the other idiot is trying to creep out towards the end of it, as it
> tilts farther and farther towards dropping them both, in an attempt to
> help rescue them. Only.. there is no "comedic" element in this act, at
> all. Just a 500 foot drop, with no last minute "save".

I've heard it said that the Democrats need a left-wing version of the Tea
Party so they can say "we'd love to do x, but we have these loons way out
on the left who won't vote for us if we don't" the way the tea party does
on the right.

There's not a strong enough progressive wing in the Democratic party to
pull things back to the left.  It's kinda like a tug-o-war.

Jim