POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. : Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views.
From: clipka
Date: 11 Aug 2012 11:56:50
Message: <502680c2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.08.2012 20:28, schrieb Stephen:

>> kidding aside, why in 2012 we still need to look at B&W photographs
>> from outer
>> space?
>>

> Bandwidth, old chap.

More likely payload weight. That thing has plenty of cameras on board -
many of them designed for special purposes for which resolution is more
important than color. This particular one, for instance, is intended for
navigation purposes - most likely a wide-angle camera; but the
scientists have enough panorama color shots from the Mars surface
already, so they went for the lighter alternative, and only have color
on some other camera designed for close-up shots (as close as 2 cm or
so; it can focus at infinity as well though). We'll see full-res shots
from that camera in due time.

Remember, this is not a sightseeing trip - it's scientific exploration.