POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Approval of vigilantism and murder : Re: Approval of vigilantism and murder Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Approval of vigilantism and murder
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 11 Aug 2012 04:35:37
Message: <50261959$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/08/2012 09:15 PM, Warp wrote:

> 2) People's basically unanimous approval of his actions are just
> preposterous. This was not self-defence, nor was it an overreaction done
> in the heat of the moment. It was premeditated, cold-blooded first-degree
> murder. The man had clearly prepared for the situation and planned his
> actions. Yet most people think that what he did was justified, and a good
> thing.

The media seems to be awash with stories of people who have done
terrible things, and then walked free because the evidence didn't stand
up in court, or because they had a really good lawyer, or because
somebody didn't sign the search warrant, and so forth. Consequently, a
lot of people seem to have a very low opinion of the system's ability to
punish those who deserve it.

Similarly, there are numerous stories of people given "5 life sentences"
who then walk free just 8 years later. People who commit serious crimes
and merely get given a few weeks' community service. In short, stories
of people who's punishment is not nearly severe enough for the grave
crimes they have committed.

In summary, many people rightly or wrongly believe that the justice
system doesn't work.

Then again, there will always be those people who want revenge, and will
do literally anything to get it. The people who, even if the death
penalty was legal, would want to be the one to /personally/ end
somebody's life. I don't even know what to say to that.

On top of that, almost everybody who writes comments on YouTube is male
and 12 years old. So I shouldn't expect too much mature logic from them...