POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Aug 2012 19:05:25
Message: <502593b5@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:48:18 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 07/08/2012 10:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That's quite interesting, I didn't know the beeb had picked up on it
>> for such a long time.
>>

> It must have been about 10 or 11 years ago that I heard a report about
> it.

I guess that tracks.  My cousin's experience with the Maracopa county
justice system was in 1999, and that incident is likely what brought
Arpaio the international attention.

I was also mistaken - obviously the Geneva Convention wouldn't apply -
that's to do with wartime activities and POWs.  What applied was:

"[P]rovisions of Article 68 of the Icelandic Constitution and Article 3
of the Council of Europe Agreement for the Protection of Human Rights and
Freedom, cf. also Article 7 of the international agreement on civil and
political rights, which state that no one shall be subject to inhumane or
humiliating treatment."

An agreement had to be reached for the Icelandic government to consider
extradition at all - even in the circumstance that he wanted to turn
himself in (which was the case).

>> Fortunately, he's on the wrong end of a lawsuit now, and hopefully
>> he'll be convicted.
>
> Shucks! Oh! What a shame. :-D

Unfortunately, the "penalty" is that the office will be monitored to
ensure compliance with the law regarding racial profiling.  It doesn't
actually have anything to do with the conditions in his prisons or
treatment of prisoners.  The best we can hope for in this instance is
that he retires or is voted out of office.

Jim