POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. : Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views.
From: Warp
Date: 10 Aug 2012 15:51:36
Message: <50256648@news.povray.org>
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:28:17 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> >> kidding aside, why in 2012 we still need to look at B&W photographs
> >> from outer space?
> >>

> > Bandwidth, old chap.

> Oh, I don't think that's it.  Curiosity started with 5 Mbps of bandwidth
> and once they cranked it up, it's at 40 Mbps of bandwidth.

> I have 3 Mbps of bandwidth (down) on my DSL line, and it handles colour
> images fine. ;)

> I think it's more to do with the complexity of the hardware.  B&W imaging
> hardware is perhaps less complex and less prone to failing.  But that's
> just a guess.

> I suppose I could ask a friend of mine who works on satellite tech, or my
> wife could ask a friend of hers at JPL who might know.

You all talk like the rover has no color cameras. Naturally that's not so.

Why some cameras are color and some B&W, that's an interesting question.
I haven't researched, but I'm guessing that they serve different purposes.
For example the rover has several "safety cameras" which purpose is to
detect and avoid collisions against obstacles when the rover moves. These
seem to be B&W, and I suppose that's enough for that purpose (and are probably
more reliable because the technology is simpler and more robust).

Perhaps some of the regular cameras are also B&W for the same reason: Maybe
they are less likely to break or malfunction in other ways. Maybe they have
a higher contrast, maybe they can capture a larger range of light amplitudes,
I don't know.

--
                                                          - Warp