POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. : Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unrealistic use of ground fog in landscape views.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Aug 2012 15:42:37
Message: <5025642d$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:28:17 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> kidding aside, why in 2012 we still need to look at B&W photographs
>> from outer space?
>>

> Bandwidth, old chap.

Oh, I don't think that's it.  Curiosity started with 5 Mbps of bandwidth
and once they cranked it up, it's at 40 Mbps of bandwidth.

I have 3 Mbps of bandwidth (down) on my DSL line, and it handles colour
images fine. ;)

I think it's more to do with the complexity of the hardware.  B&W imaging
hardware is perhaps less complex and less prone to failing.  But that's
just a guess.

I suppose I could ask a friend of mine who works on satellite tech, or my
wife could ask a friend of hers at JPL who might know.

Jim