POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pool balls (2nd attempt) : Re: Pool balls (2nd attempt) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pool balls (2nd attempt)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 10 Aug 2012 03:06:30
Message: <5024b2f6$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/08/12 02:13, Ive wrote:
> well, the cue tip mesh needs obviously a bit of subdivision.

   Yep...

> To be more picky I do not buy the highlights, especially the
> yellowish corona around them.

   Yes, I forgot to change the light color to match the one on the HDRI
background.

> And the furry look of the pool surface seems with its circular
> patterns to much like an old fashioned POV-Ray procedural texture.

   I really don't see these, but my vision isn't what it used to be...
they must come from the heavy turbulence applied to the image map (I
used a "re-colored" picture of a furry fabric from mayang.com).

> But the rack and the ball scratches are just excellent and SSS is
> also perfect.

   Well, I must admit that I cheated a bit and helped the effect by
manipulating the ball image maps, using blur around the edges... ;)

> Strange thing, (and no offense to clipka) but after some experiments
> with SSLT I also do still prefer POV-Ray's good old media feature
> for subsurface scattering effects.

   My former tests with uniform pigments worked fine, just seemed as slow
as media, and only a bit easier to setup... but here, with image maps,
it did not work at all, showing bright pixel artifacts with unexpected
colors. Then I remembered clipka mentioning this problem some time ago,
so I switched to classic media.. which was easy in the end, as it worked
fine with my first try:

     media{
       scattering{1,1}
       absorption 1
     }

   combined with "transmit all .33" on the image maps. It sometimes
throws some bright pixel artifacts here and there, but on this shot I
was lucky...

--
Jaime