POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Guns don't hurt people - People hurt people... : Re: Guns don't hurt people - People hurt people... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guns don't hurt people - People hurt people...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Aug 2012 23:26:54
Message: <50247f7e@news.povray.org>
On 8/7/2012 3:29 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:59:48 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> NRA - But, people have been known to kill other people with paper clips.
>> If you have a paper clip, I should have the right to defend myself with
>> a bigger paper clip, and if I can have that, why not a knife, or a gun,
>> since, if I get a knife, so will you, so I obviously need a gun!
>
> "When you can kill 20 people and wound 30 others with a paperclip in
> under 30 seconds, then we might have something to talk about."
>
> Jim

Yeah, seen that argument too. Its usually from someone that likes to
invent scenarios. My fav had to be the, "Well, if a guy with a gun, but
not necessarily drawn, comes into my yard, I am going to be there with a
gun, to defend my property." Somehow these things get ignored in that
scenario:

1. Is this person lost, or otherwise not there intentionally?

2. If you draw a gun on them, isn't their logical reaction, especially
if #1 is the case, to also draw, to defend themselves?

3. You seriously think using lethal force is necessary to protect
"property"?

4. How do you know you won't panic and miss?

5. I repeat, why the hell escalate things?

6. Oh, and, again, WTF is wrong with you, that you think lethal force is
needed to protect "property"?

These people's skulls seem to be, however, impervious to logic.