POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pool balls (2nd attempt) : Pool balls (2nd attempt) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Pool balls (2nd attempt)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 9 Aug 2012 03:15:52
Message: <502363a8@news.povray.org>
Hi All:

   Just to dust of my POV-Ray skills, I did a sequel of my pool balls
scene from some years ago. This time I had a more ambitious goal: to try
to make them as realistic as possible.

   The balls are obviously POV spheres, but with some tricky texturing
and media inside for the subsurface scattering (the new subsurface
feature didn't like my use of the image maps).

   The "dirty" highlights were accomplished by mixing, via texture map,
two slightly different versions of the same texture (different phong and
reflection). The scratches are just a bump map using a modified version
of an image from imageafter.com.

   The ball image_maps are from sharecg.com, uploaded by Elisa LR. I
tried to do my own, but given up as I was not able to find the correct
font for the ball numbers.

   The pool surface is just a plane, again with a tricky texturing to
simulate the furry look and the dirt (two layers).

   The triangle rack, the chalk and the cue were quickly modeled with
Wings3D and exported with its own exporter. The only one that was not so
easy was the triangle rack... the corners were a bit of a nightmare.

   Rendering took 1h15m on my PhenomIIx4, using 1 area light and mild
focal blur.

   Regards,

--
Jaime