POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vanishing Point : Re: Vanishing Point Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vanishing Point
From: Ive
Date: 7 Aug 2012 00:01:03
Message: <502092ff@news.povray.org>
Am 06.08.2012 10:09, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
>    Ah... modeling vintage cars is fun, isn't?

Yes it is! Especially at the beginning when it starts to get shape. But
at some point all I could see were flaws, curvature mismatches and
missing details. Then its time to stop as otherwise I get so annoyed
that I completely give up with this hobby of mine, ...at least for a
while ;)

> Very good job on the
> paint... white paint is specially difficult.

After fiddling around with much too complex layered textures I used this
fairly simple one:

#declare Challenger_M_Paint = material {
   texture {
     pigment {rgb <0.912, 0.900, 0.865> }
     finish {
       ambient 0  diffuse 0.9
     }
   }
   texture {
     pigment {rgbf <0.960, 0.965, 0.975, 0.99> }
     finish {
       ambient 0  diffuse 0.05
       reflection {0 1 fresnel on} conserve_energy
     }
   }
   interior {ior 1.525}
}

>> A few months ago I had the opportunity to buy a similar beast but my
>>  wife already called me a complete idiot for even thinking for a
>> second about it.
>
>    I'm sorry, but fortunately your wife saved us from your disappearance
> from the POV scene... ;)

Well... right... indeed, I did never drive such an overpowered vehicle.
But my wife was more concerned that this one needs more gas for simply
driving to the next gas station than our current car to drive halfway
across the country. BTW she drove an 80's Porsche for a long time and
also thinks the Challenger is cool.

>> Currently I'm working on adding some dirt and desert dust using
>> Jaime's baking method ...
>
>    Impatiently waiting to see the result...

Might take some time as I was lazy and did no uv-mapping for most parts.
Only the body is actually mapped as I was thinking that I might wont to
add some typical muscle-car-airbrush in the future ;)

-Ive