POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:49:30
Message: <50201fca$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:41:18 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> It is but in this inclement climate short sightedness is the order of
>> the day. :-(
>
> In /this/ climate? Damn, and here I was thinking this has been the story
> of my /entire career/, long before things went thermonuclear.
>
> It seems that in general companies are only interested in what's
> happening /right now/, and anything further out than that is irrelevant.

Public companies are run on a quarter-by-quarter basis (at least in the
US, but probably elsewhere as well).  Everything is driven by immediate
needs and quarterly earnings results.

That's one of the major problems IMHO with publicly traded corporations.
Private corporations can focus on a longer game.

>> Contracting is not an easy option but you might think about it while
>> you are waiting to find a permanent job. It does supply an income.
>> If you feel that you cannot get a job locally and you don't want to be
>> on the dole. It is the another option.
>
> I very much doubt I have the vast organisational skills required to pull
> this off.

I don't either.  That's why I have someone who organises my contracts for
me.

If they're over in the UK, check out AeroTek (or TekSystems).  I've
worked with them in the past and they found me something very quickly
that turned into a full-time position (this was almost 15 years ago).

They specialize in technical recruiting and placement.  The offered pay
was pretty good, too - though I never actually got paid by them because I
was offered full-time permanent work and the company bought the contract
out.

Jim