POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:43:45
Message: <50201e71@news.povray.org>
>>> Not for the right employer.
>>
>> Yeah, well, there aren't too many of those around.
>
> That's your experience, maybe.  Others have a different experience.

There are a huge number of companies out there. Not all of them are any
good though. ;-)

> I've fought this one for a long time.  I refused to get certifications
> and relied instead on having proven experience.  That did disqualify me
> from some jobs (Iomega once upon a time) - but I used it as an employer
> litmus test; if they were more interested in the piece of paper than in
> my actual abilities, I wouldn't want to work for them anyways, because if
> there was ever a question about who was right on something, it'd be the
> one who earned the certification rather than the one who had the
> experience.

Amen.

>> Don't give a damn about any other qualities you may have. If
>> you don't already know X, you're no good to us.
>
> If they're trying to fill a very specific need, then that becomes a
> rather important qualification.
>
>> Because, let's face it, a guy with a weak knowledge of X is far more
>> desirable than a day with the capacity to learn everything there is to
>> know about X, Y, Z, Q, W, V and R and then some. Right?
>
> In some cases, yes, actually.

I could understand "in some cases".

What I'm rather bemused about is the "in ALL cases" part. I have yet to
meet a single employer who was the /slightest/ bit interested in what I
might be capable of learning.

> That's why I have someone else to do that for me. :)

Nice...