POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Aug 2012 15:35:47
Message: <50201c93$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/08/2012 9:27 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> Having skills is a vastly different thing than /proving/ you have
>>> skills. Therein lies the problem.
>>
>> Not for the right employer.
>
> Yeah, well, there aren't too many of those around.
>
> You would /think/ that the abundant evidence that I'm an intelligent
> person with a large capacity to learn and the necessary drive to do so
> would be worth more than a thousand paper qualifications. You would
> think this would be the most valuable thing /ever/.

It is but in this inclement climate short sightedness is the order of
the day. :-(

> And yet, the vast majority of companies will simply say "do you have 3
> years of commercial experience with product X?" If the answer is yes,
> then they will speak to you. If the answer is no, suddenly you stop
> existing. Don't give a damn about any other qualities you may have. If
> you don't already know X, you're no good to us.

Again you are mostly right. It all goes back to when companies stopped
taking on apprentices.
Those two sentences do not make good reading but as I know from personal
experience. You can't ever give up and must try to addapt.

>> What's been working for me is to do contract work with companies I'd like
>> to work with.  That lets them see you work and see what you can do.  I've
>> impressed every company I've worked with AFAIK, and three of them have
>> talked about wanting to hire me - but with the economy the way it is,
>> everyone is hesitant to hire over here.
>
> I don't see how that makes it any easier to find companies, make them
> actually speak to you, and ultimately hire your services. It also
> appears to provide no financial security whatsoever. Instead of spending
> two years unemployed and then getting a job and being able to stop
> looking, you end up having to /permanently/ search for jobs...

Contracting is not an easy option but you might think about it while you
are waiting to find a permanent job. It does supply an income.
If you feel that you cannot get a job locally and you don't want to be
on the dole. It is the another option.

--
Regards
     Stephen