POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Aug 2012 04:27:25
Message: <501f7fed$1@news.povray.org>
>> Having skills is a vastly different thing than /proving/ you have
>> skills. Therein lies the problem.
>
> Not for the right employer.

Yeah, well, there aren't too many of those around.

You would /think/ that the abundant evidence that I'm an intelligent
person with a large capacity to learn and the necessary drive to do so
would be worth more than a thousand paper qualifications. You would
think this would be the most valuable thing /ever/.

And yet, the vast majority of companies will simply say "do you have 3
years of commercial experience with product X?" If the answer is yes,
then they will speak to you. If the answer is no, suddenly you stop
existing. Don't give a damn about any other qualities you may have. If
you don't already know X, you're no good to us.

Because, let's face it, a guy with a weak knowledge of X is far more
desirable than a day with the capacity to learn everything there is to
know about X, Y, Z, Q, W, V and R and then some. Right?

> What's been working for me is to do contract work with companies I'd like
> to work with.  That lets them see you work and see what you can do.  I've
> impressed every company I've worked with AFAIK, and three of them have
> talked about wanting to hire me - but with the economy the way it is,
> everyone is hesitant to hire over here.

I don't see how that makes it any easier to find companies, make them
actually speak to you, and ultimately hire your services. It also
appears to provide no financial security whatsoever. Instead of spending
two years unemployed and then getting a job and being able to stop
looking, you end up having to /permanently/ search for jobs...