POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Aug 2012 02:38:52
Message: <501f667c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 22:05:36 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 05/08/2012 06:49 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 13:57:24 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> I got my current job because daddy put in a good word with the bosses,
>>> and they were absolutely desperate. If it weren't for that, I'd
>>> presumably have been unemployed for the last ten years...
>>
>> No, chances are you would have found something.  You've got skills, and
>> eventually someone would have taken a chance on them.
>
> Having skills is a vastly different thing than /proving/ you have
> skills. Therein lies the problem.

Not for the right employer.

What's been working for me is to do contract work with companies I'd like
to work with.  That lets them see you work and see what you can do.  I've
impressed every company I've worked with AFAIK, and three of them have
talked about wanting to hire me - but with the economy the way it is,
everyone is hesitant to hire over here.

>> There's no way to know for certain what would've happened.
>
> Well, yes, that's ultimately true of everything in life.

Yep.

I'm glad to see that you're taking a "can do" attitude, though.

Jim