POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Aug 2012 08:57:22
Message: <501e6db2$1@news.povray.org>
>>> This.  Looking back on it, most of the positions I've held, including those
>>> while I was active duty in the military, I got through word-of-mouth referral,
>>> despite the fact that I suck at networking.
>>
>> ...right... so given that I don't know anybody, I should just give up
>> now? Is that what you're saying?
>
> Absolutely not.  I have no intention of giving job-hunting advice here.  I suck
> at finding a job even more than I suck at networking.  That's why I have an
> interest in your saga.

My reply came off as perhaps more aggressive than I intended. What I
/meant/ to say was something along the lines of:

1. If I accept that only people who are connected can get jobs, then I
must accept that I will never get a job.

2. If I accept that, then basically any job hunting effort is a waste of
time and I should just give up now.

3. Since I have no intention of giving up, I must therefore assume that
#1 is actually incorrect.

> I failed to find a job for a year after receiving my undergraduate degree in
> civil engineering, that's why I'm back in school.  It didn't help that the
> economy melted down shortly before I graduated, or that my best contacts in the
> civil engineering department left or retired, some in disgrace.

Yeah, right now isn't a great time to be trying to get a job. (Not that
it's ever /easy/, as far as I'm aware...)

> Despite sucking at networking, that's how I landed my current position.  Strange
> things happen.

I got my current job because daddy put in a good word with the bosses,
and they were absolutely desperate. If it weren't for that, I'd
presumably have been unemployed for the last ten years...