POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Aug 2012 06:09:08
Message: <501e4644$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/08/2012 09:57 AM, Warp wrote:
> Le_Forgeron<jgr### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>> You were expected to work double time for free. You are a picky a*****e
>> to have ask a salary.
>
> Technically speaking it's illegal here (and I'm sure in most civilized
> countries) to ask an employee to work extra hours without pay, and it's
> also quite illegal to fire them just because they refuse. Yet it happens
> all the time here.

My sister is an accountant. She's /paid/ to work from 9 to 5. And yet,
it's not uncommon to hear that she's stayed in the office until 11pm,
and then taken a laptop home and worked until 3am. (And then gone back
to the office at 8am on 4 hours' sleep.)

Sure, /technically/ they're not allowed to make people do that. But when
the entire office is "expected" to put in the hours, and everybody else
/does/, what are you going to do? Guess who gets the big promotions, the
bonuses, etc. Yeah, that's right - the people who work for free...