POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 Aug 2012 05:21:38
Message: <501e3b22$1@news.povray.org>
Le 05/08/2012 10:57, Warp nous fit lire :
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> You were expected to work double time for free. You are a picky a*****e
>> to have ask a salary.
>
> Technically speaking it's illegal here (and I'm sure in most civilized
> countries) to ask an employee to work extra hours without pay, and it's
> also quite illegal to fire them just because they refuse. Yet it happens
> all the time here.
>
> Finnish law protects employees from being fired at a whim, without a good
> reason (monetary problems or employee misconduct are good reasons; the
> refusal of an employee to work extra hours for free certainly isn't). Even
> when the employer does have a good reason to fire the employee, the
> employer must give a three-month notice (except in special circumstances).

Nearly the same thing here (France).
Additional bonus: previous ruling from tribunal states that refusing
extra hours is ok if previously extra hours wasn't paid. So, at most,
you get a month of unpaid extra, then stick to the clock, if you have
the nuts to fight.

> Employers get around this tiny problem with a trick: Rather than employ
> people indefinitely, they employ them a few months at a time, always
> renovating the employment contract at the end of the previous one.

A difference here, they can make it twice in a row only. And there is a
10% bonus (of the whole sum for the contract since its beginning) at the
end if they do not offer the place.

> Of course now the employers have leverage over the employees: If they refuse
> to make extra hours without pay, then the employer might have no option but
> to let him go... You know, difficult times, economic recession and all
> that... (Never mind that they immediately hire someone else to fill the
> vacancy. Someone who *is* willing to donate the extra hours.)

Yep, the old trick of "someone will do it if you do not". Works only for
low-formation time job. If getting productive take 4 months (to know the
job and setting), they cannot play that trick. (they might enforce a
strong documentation, but strong documentation costs a lot)