POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2012 00:08:50
Message: <501df1d2@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 16:03:29 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/4/2012 15:39, Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> it *just* means they liked someone more than you.
>
> Or that they hired nobody at all, either because the job shouldn't have
> been advertised in the first place, or because they're too picky anyway.

I had that experience once recently.  Flew to Portland for an in-person
interview, and they ended up saying I clearly had the skills, but not the
"passion for their company or product" (I think that's how they put it).
<shrug>  Their loss, I'd have done a damned good job for them.  They
ended up calling a former coworker back and after 30 minutes talking to
him, decided (a second time) that he wasn't right for the job, and they
opted to not fill it rather than fill it with someone who had all the
skills they were looking for but not the 'enthusiasm'.

I guess I didn't jump up and down enough and say "oh my gawd, you have
the best products EVAH!!!!!" - because I felt I was pretty enthusiastic.

But I was so much in shock when they said they were terminating the
process before I talked to their CEO (a meeting that, if it had happened,
would have had me missing the flight out that they had booked for me -
which makes me wonder how serious they actually were or if they were
looking for free consulting) that I didn't ask any intelligent questions.

Maybe they expected me to fight for it.  I thought it had gone pretty
well.

Jim