POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Aug 2012 17:59:01
Message: <501d9b25@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:30:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Native american: I was born in America.
>
> American Indian: My ancestors 1000 years ago were born in America.

Here in Utah, that's not the common parlance.

"Native American" here generally is taken to mean a member of an American
Indian tribe (the term "Indian" as applied to indigenous peoples is now
seen even here in Utah as a misnomer, applied because Columbus thought
he'd reached India, as you probably know).

"American Citizen" is used to reflect someone who is a citizen of the US;
"Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who received
their citizenship by being born here.

Jim