POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Aug 2012 17:32:36
Message: <501d94f4$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 18:03:49 +0200, clipka wrote:

> For instance, they might ask you to write a small function to compute
> factorials. Someone might program this as a recursion because he
> happened to come across it as an example in the "programming for
> dummies" section on recursion.

Yep.

I had an interview years ago with a software engineering team, and during
the interview, I was given a problem to solve that was along the lines of
having a container to fill with liquid, with an "input" (where the liquid
came in) and an "output" (where the liquid went out).  The goal of the
program was, given two functions that had two inputs each (I forget what
now, it's been over a decade ago), keep the water between a high and low
watermark in the container.

They asked me to solve it without a particular language - just in
pseudocode or methodology.

I was unprepared to do that, and as a result, the day's worth of
interviews ended up not resulting in my getting the job.

And now, over a decade later, I'm working with some of the same engineers
I would have if I'd taken that job, but they respect me and my ability to
learn technology quickly - and I'm writing documentation on a contract
basis for them.

But if I'd gotten the engineering job itself - I would be somewhere else
and wouldn't have their respect.  For this contract, though, they were
actively excited that I was coming back to work with them again (I'd
worked with them before at the start of the year for about 6 weeks; this
time it's for 6 months).

Jim