POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Aug 2012 16:46:41
Message: <501d8a31$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/08/2012 06:46 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 8/4/2012 9:03, clipka wrote:
>> are merely there to filter out people who do know the syntax but don't
>> have
>> the slightest clues about algorithm design, performance issues and so
>> forth.
>
> They work pretty well for filtering out people who, amazingly, have been
> programming for 20+ years and can't (for example) write a program to
> print out the first 50 prime numbers. We wouldn't have fizzbuzz if we
> were filtering out people who knew syntax but not algorithms.

When I went to my second interview, the interviewer asked me to take a
simple SQL test. Before the test, he didn't seem very keen on hiring me.
After the test, he was absolutely hyped. He was actually sitting there
having a verbal monologue with himself, out loud, trying to decide how
he could hire me.

The test was laughably trivial. Anybody who's read Chapter 1 of SQL for
Dummies would have aced this test. It was literally "do you know what
SELECT, WHERE, ORDER BY and GROUP do?" And yet, the interviewer told me,
with a straight face, that "I have people walk in here telling me they
have 20+ years' SQL experience and they can't do /any/ of that test!"

And that was the day I realised that unlike me, /some/ people must be
utterly LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH. O_O

Jesus....