POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Aug 2012 14:08:12
Message: <501d650c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/3/2012 9:02 PM, waggy wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 03/08/2012 05:50 PM, Darren New wrote:
>>> In addition, the school itself gets a copy of the thesis (or many
>>> copies) and they wind up in the department or library or something.
>>> Certainly when the student publishes a thesis, the school isn't going to
>>> fail to have a vanity copy.
>>
>> Sure. But that doesn't help *me* read it. I always seem to have trouble
>> getting my hands on interesting papers and stuff...
>
> At my university, I have to deliver two printed copies to the school library. I
> must also deliver an electronic copy to a commercial online publisher to make
> available through their private (paid) service. Registering a copyright and
> providing open access are add-on costs for the author.

Medical community is sort of pissed over some of that practice. Its
generally "common" practice, in that field, to also submit a version to
same public archive, like PubMed, only, many of those "paid services"
don't want any of it to be available, save through their paid services.
How the hell they think medicine would have advanced, if every time
someone wanted to run an experiment, they had to pay half their research
budget to buy papers on the prior experiments done in the same field, is
beyond me. How people manage it in other fields, as it is... Well, given
the state that some "tech" was in, among research institutes, as apposed
to the business world, a few years back, the answer seems to be, "Huh?
You mean they make IDEs and debuggers?"