POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2012 12:28:08
Message: <501d4d98$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.08.2012 17:19, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

>> Graduate means just graduated, straight out of education with
>> little or no experience. At your age you are expected to have moved on.
>
> Sure. Anything that specifically says /graduate/ is unlikely to be open
> to me at this point. But I would have thought "trainee" would be fine...

What do you need to be trained for?

I've been a software developer for a decade, mostly getting my hands
dirty on code myself. Last job I applied for (and got) was as a
"software project coordinator", with my job being to coordinate between
the software developers, testers, customer and whoever else would be
involved, to get one particular product ready on time. It was a step
higher than I had aimed for, two steps higher than what I had been doing
until then, wouldn't let me touch any code myself, and I was seriously
worried if I'd be really fit for the task. But I did take the challenge,
and it turned out that I really did a great job at it.

The point I'm trying to make is this: When applying for a new job, don't
aim for what you've been doing until now. Aim higher. And don't expect
anyone to train you for that new challenge - instead, rely on what might
be your strongest soft skill: Your ability to teach /yourself/ whatever
new stuff you'll be facing. (Hey, you've taught yourself how to program
in /Haskell/ - what more proof do you need? :-P)

Let people know that you're not afraid of taking on new challenges, and
that you have what it /really/ takes for that: The will and ability to
learn.