POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues : Re: The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The search continues
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2012 12:03:57
Message: <501d47ed$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.08.2012 15:44, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

> I did have one telephone interview with an actual employer. I very much
> doubt I got that job, and I don't particularly want it if I did.
> (There's a face-to-face interview plus a C++ coding test first. I'll
> presumably fail that.)

That's bullshit thinking. Stop that. From my experience, such "coding
tests" are merely there to filter out people who do know the syntax but
don't have the slightest clues about algorithm design, performance
issues and so forth.

For instance, they might ask you to write a small function to compute
factorials. Someone might program this as a recursion because he
happened to come across it as an example in the "programming for
dummies" section on recursion.

> I'm ambivalent as to whether this is actually the best strategy. On one
> hand, the more stuff I apply to, the more likely it is that somebody
> will call me. OTOH, if I apply for something totally unsuitable, and the
> recruiter phones me, they're not going to be amused at having their time
> wasted.

Best thing is if you do inform yourself about what the company actually
does, and which of your skills might be of interest to them. (And don't
just think "this particular job", but "this particular company" - they
might have other opportunities available.) Then, when applying,
emphasize those skills. (Don't forget the "soft skills"!)

> And than there's Network Rail. A friend
> of mine works there and insists it's the best job in the world... But
> they have ZERO computer jobs listed.

Ask your friend to dig around what they've got cooking wrt IT. Do apply
for a job at companies you'd probably enjoy working for, even if they
don't seem to offer jobs right now. They might just happen to ponder
hiring someone - or they may the moment they read your CV. You know, you
can't actually lose anything, can you?

And by all means, get rid of that "I'll probably fail" attitude. You
CANNOT LOSE at a job interview (or when sending in your CV, or whatever).