POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Re: Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Fiber
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Aug 2012 13:03:00
Message: <501c0444$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/2/2012 7:24, Invisible wrote:

> Oh, well, sure. Apart from THE LARGEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE PART OF THE
> NETWORK, it's already fiber. No problem. :-)

You do it a little at a time. One county or neighborhood at a time.

Go watch the (short) videos at fiber.google.com.

> The technology to access the Internet at gigabits per second already exists.
> The problem is that it will cost a fortune to dig up the entire country to
> lay hundreds of thousands of miles of fiber. Which is why nobody is doing
> this. (Or at least, not very fast.)

Not really. The fiber is already going to the head of the neighborhood, just
like water or electricity. You just run the cables thru the existing pipes
(or, in the case of KC, on the existing poles) that everything else goes
through. Getting the permissions to do that is the difficult and expensive
part, not the actual doing it.

> Still, Google appears very, very confident indeed. From what I can tell,
> they're only wiring on Kansas. (WTF? Why Kansas?!)

Because Kansas City promised not to be a dick about permits. When other
cities see it's actually possible, they too won't be dicks about permits.

> Um, good luck with that...

Cool thing is, it's quite likely to work, just like gmail did. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"