POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: clipka
Date: 2 Aug 2012 16:28:48
Message: <501ae300$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.08.2012 21:54, schrieb Stephen:
> On 02/08/2012 6:51 AM, waggy wrote:
>> "waggy" wrote:
>> [something regrettable]
>
> LOL
>

>> Please allow me to retract my statement about spaces. I had no idea it's
>> considered flame bait.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing#Controversy
>>

> I have never heard of double spacing sentences. And I worked in the
> newspaper industry, A few years after the switch over from hot metal.
> Is it an American thing?

I would presume that in the printing industry, especially with people
familiar with classic hot metal, the idea of using "two spaces after a
sentence" would prompt a puzzled look; after all, they had been using
variable-width spaces for ages, so they'd just make the (/single/) space
after a sentence wider than between words.

That said, traditional typesetters have always put a lot of emphasis on
keeping the "weight" (ratio between black and white areas) of the
printed text as uniform as possible across the page; additional
whitespace between sentences would constitute a local reduction of
weight, so they might have avoided it altogether.