POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2012 12:21:22
Message: <501aa902@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:11:05 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> This stupid mistake has now stuck,
> and I defy you to find a dictionary today which even lists "napron" as a
> word.

The online edition OED does resolve it to "Apron" - I just did a search
and that's where it took me:

Forms:  ME naperonn, ME naprun(e, -onne, napperone, ME haprune, ME–15
napron, 15 aprone, aproneren, aprarne, ap(p)urn, 15–16 aperne, ME– apron.

Etymology:  < Old French naperon (modern French napperon ), diminutive of
nape , nappe , table-cloth < Latin mappa table-napkin. The change of
Latin m to French n is also seen in matta , natte , mespilum , nèfle ;
the medieval Latin instances of napa , nappa for mappa are probably <
French. In English, initial n has been lost by corruption of a napron to
an apron . See a adj.

:P

> Seriously, how do you *think* new languages are invented? They happen
> because of people being stupid.

Or lazy.

> Related: You can probably find "teh" in the dictionary.

 a. In Taoism, the essence of Tao inherent in all beings.
 b. In Confucianism and in extended use, moral virtue.

> Along with
> "pron"

Redirected to "Prone" as "pron" is an early form of that word.

Jim