POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Re: Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Fiber
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Aug 2012 09:49:27
Message: <501a8567$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/08/2012 12:23, Invisible a écrit :

> Internet access is different though. You can't just suddenly say "ah,
> sod it, let's just increase the speed 500x". It requires completely
> replacing the entire infrastructure of the Internet - a presumably
> impossible task. So... is this really real?

you only have to change the access part.
The Internet is already on fiber, excepted for the access part.

Here, we went from telephony-modem (9600, then 28.8k (last symmetric
one), then 56k), to ADSL, and ADSL2 and ADSL2+ (with re-adsl and other
tricks in the middle).
Yet, if you are 6km away from the telecom building, you get a low 2mb/s
(download, upload might be 512k to 1024kb/s). If really unlucky, you get
a 512#128kb/s line for a fortune per month.
If you are very lucky to be less than 100m from the building, you might
get 28#1mb/s.
(at 2 km, I get a 13#1 mb/s, not bad to see all your big picture in p.b.i)

And some happy few have already the fiber at home (with a fight for
standard: 2 telecom companies have chosen GPON, 1 has chosen P2P, a
fourth is ready for both, and a cable operator is trying to get a bit of
jackpot within its monopoly) (and its even more complex)

Proposal for fiber so far are about (for home user):
 * 100#10 Mb/s
 * 100#50 Mb/s
 * 100#5 Mb/s (that's the cable one, notice the low upload)

Main issue: coverage is low. A study from March 2012 showed that only
10% of home were connectable today, with 80% of them by the cable
operator: i.e. only 2% of the normal country is reachable so far with a
real fiber.

A bit more about numbers: on GPON, the signal is shared (and encrypted)
on a single fiber between 64 ( or 128) end users, via a passive optic
splitting tree. Which means that all offers with 100 Mb/s download are
already fed by a faster fiber.