POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Google Fiber
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Aug 2012 06:23:11
Message: <501a550f$1@news.povray.org>
Is this a real product? It reads like an April Fool's joke. They're
talking about giving you 1,000 mbit/sec access to the Internet. That's
10x faster than our LAN! That's crazy. Most people's Internet bandwidth
is more like 2mbit/sec, or maybe as much as 8mbit/sec. I thought it was
nuts when our house got upgraded to 80mbit/sec. But 1,000? That's insane!

On the other hand, does anybody remember back when email services would
offer you, like, 2MB of storage space? And then a "premium option" to
upgrade this to maybe 10MB or something? And then Google Mail came along
and said "Hey, here's 1GB of storage. For free." And suddenly everybody
else was like "WTF? They can DO that?? Holy cow, we're losing all our
customers!!!"

When Google first proposed it, it sounded insane. I can personally
remember micro-managing my inbox to delete old cruft to prevent it
filling up. Today, having "only" a piffling 2MB to play with is the

terabyte? So if each customer has 1GB, that's 3p per customer. That's
peanuts.

I still remember with some amusement Hotmail suddenly upping their
default mailbox size from 2MB to 250MB to 5GB. So, um, if you could do
that all along, why didn't you? Basically, it seems Google did something
revolutionary, and everybody else scrambled to catch up.

Internet access is different though. You can't just suddenly say "ah,
sod it, let's just increase the speed 500x". It requires completely
replacing the entire infrastructure of the Internet - a presumably
impossible task. So... is this really real?