POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Aug 2012 04:44:21
Message: <501a3de5$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/08/2012 10:11, Invisible a écrit :
> On 02/08/2012 12:53 AM, nemesis wrote:
>
>> so all you need to make up new (ilogical) words is getting a bunch of
>> dumbasses
>> demanding it so?
>
> Yep. Just like all of antiquity.
>
> Take "apron", for example. This word is actually a mistake. The original
> words was "napron". But when some dumbarse heard the phrase "a napron",
> this misinterpreted it as "an apron". This stupid mistake has now stuck,
> and I defy you to find a dictionary today which even lists "napron" as a
> word.

Well, it comes from the same word that gave French "napperon" (with a
silent "e" between p & r, guess what happened ? vocal transcription with
fast speakers...)

napperon is today a small tablecloth of lacework, but the lace is very
similar to the lace that was used as part of an apron by the servant.
(the lace white part of an apron could as well be a kind of "napperon",
the real protecting cloth (in black in traditional imagery of female
servant) getting incorporated in the term)

> Seriously, how do you *think* new languages are invented? They happen
> because of people being stupid.
>
> Related: You can probably find "teh" in the dictionary. Along with
> "pron" and so forth.

And hypothenuse get 314 000 results, vs 2 millions for hypotenuse on
some search engine with a name related to glasses.
(adding "english" change the results to 88k vs 405k )

It's a Greek rooted word, there is absolutely no way go get a second h
in it, yet 1/7 of the indexed Internet get it wrong.

Finish him: "hypothénuse" get 654k vs "hypoténuse" only 112k.
On a majority vote of Internet, the French dictionary is ruled out.