POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Aug 2012 04:04:36
Message: <501a3494$1@news.povray.org>
>> yeah, it's a strange habit that I carried over even to my portuguese writing.
>> And the funny fact is that you do know it makes sentences stand out better!
>
> But not so strange, since I think proportional typeset text traditionally has a
> wider space after a period between sentences than it uses after an abbrev.
> within a sentence. Do any word processors automagically put in a wider spacing
> character between sentences?

TeX.

Whenever it sees a dot followed by whitespace, it adds a wider space,
unless the character before the dot was a capital letter. (This
exception means that something like "R.A.M." does not introduce
extraneous space.) In case this is incorrect, you can write "\ " to
introduce a regular-size space. (And there's probably some macro
somewhere to introduce a wide space where one would not normally be.)

This from the typesetting engine which considers a hyphen, a minus sign,
an en-dash and an em-dash to be three unrelated glyphs...