POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Command-line declare seems limited to 6 significant figures : Re: Command-line declare seems limited to 6 significant figures Server Time
18 May 2024 08:42:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Command-line declare seems limited to 6 significant figures
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Aug 2012 03:08:39
Message: <501a2777@news.povray.org>
Le 02/08/2012 04:51, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> When I use declare= on the command line or in a .ini file, only 6 significant
>> figures get passed in.

> POV-Ray 3.6.1 isn't perfect either.  The option declare=Input=123456789 yields
> 123456792.0000.

Nothing shoking, povray does not have an integer type, only float or
double.

Traditional float has 23 bits mantissa, that's about 7 significant digits.
Traditional double has 52 bits mantissa, that's about 15.
(expecting about 3 1/3 bits per decimal, or more exactly 10 bits per 3
digits, as 1024 is 2^10, with an implicit bit in the non degenerated
representation: float get value in 24, double in 53... yet )

"Declare" are stored in float (well, IIRC, the type of float in povray
can be customised via a macro, but you need to compile it yourself).