POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: andrel
Date: 2 Aug 2012 04:29:36
Message: <501A3A72.4050602@gmail.com>
On 2-8-2012 10:01, Invisible wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 08:12 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>
>> Hint for starting students: get access to the accepted theses of the ten
>> or so previous years. (theses are published... they go public)
>
> I thought that when a paper is "published" that just means that it goes
> into some journal which can only be purchased for thousands of pounds
> per issue?

No and no.

A thesis is published as a separate entity and in general contains much
more than one paper. In the Netherlands they are even published as a
book. I have about 3 meter of them from various friends and colleagues.
In many places the University publishes them on-line also.

Papers are published in journals. Journals might cost thousands of
pounds per year but there is a growing trend of free articles and free
journals.

--
Women are the canaries of science. When they are underrepresented
it is a strong indication that non-scientific factors play a role