POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on ODEs : Re: Reflections on ODEs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on ODEs
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 1 Aug 2012 16:53:28
Message: <50199748$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2012 02:58 PM, Invisible wrote:

> So the solutions to one equation are sin and cos, and to the other are
> sinh and cosh. That's really pretty...

Of course, sin and sinh look totally unrelated on the real line. But in
the complex plane, one is a trivially rotated version of the other. (The
same goes for cos verses cosh.)

Wolfram|Alpha claims that f''=f actually has "the" solution

   f(t) = A exp(t) + B exp(-t)

I notice the following:

* If A=B=0 then we have f(t)=0.

* With A=1 and B=0, we have f(t)=exp(t).

* Setting A=B=1/2 gives us f(t)=cosh(t).

* Finally, A=1/2 and B=-1/2 gives us f(t)=cosh(t).

More tantalisingly, sinh and cosh are defined as

   sinh(x) = 1/2 [exp(x) - exp(-x)]
   cosh(x) = 1/2 [exp(x) + exp(-x)]

and sin and cos can be similarly defined as

   sin(x) = 1/2i [exp(ix) - exp(-ix)]
   cos(x) = 1/2  [exp(ix) + exp(-ix)]

This is the "trivial rotation in the complex plane" which I mentioned.
So perhaps the most general solution to f''=-f is given by

   f(t) = A exp(it) + B exp(-it)

It's certainly an interesting idea.

Getting back to physics for a moment, we know that in the case of
f''=-f, one solution is f(t) = sin(t). But would, say, f(t) = sin(2t) work?

Looking up my table of derivatives, it appears that we have

   f(t) = sin(2t)
   f'(t) = 2cos(2t)
   f''(t) = -4sin(2t)

So that doesn't work at all. It seems our system can oscillate at
exactly one frequency only. But how able different amplitudes?

   f(t) = 2sin(t)
   f'(t) = 2cos(t)
   f''(t) = -2sin(t)

OK, so that works. It seems our system can oscillate at different
amplitudes, but only one frequency. So how about different phases? We
know that both sin and cos work, but how about a combination of them?

   f(t) = sin(t) + cos(t)
   f'(t) = cos(t) - sin(t)
   f''(t) = -sin(t) - cos(t)

OK, so that seems to work. So it appears that we have two basic
solutions, sin(t) and cos(t), and /any/ linear combination of them is
also a solution. That's interesting.

Does the same hold for the f''=f case? Let's look.

   f(t) = sinh(2t)
   f'(t) = 2cosh(2t)
   f''(t) = 4sinh(2t)

That doesn't work, as before.

   f(t) = 2sinh(t)
   f'(t) = 2cosh(t)
   f''(t) = 2sinh(t)

That still works.

   f(t) = sinh(t) + cosh(t)
   f'(t) = cosh(t) + sinh(t)
   f''(t) = sinh(t) + cosh(t)

So again, it appears that any linear combination of sinh(t) and cosh(t)
should be a solution.

Alternatively, we can say that in one case the solutions are exp(x) and
exp(-x) and in the other they are exp(ix) and exp(-ix), and that any
linear combination of these works. This is slightly more fiddly, since
in the second case we need to keep the solutions purely real (so the
multiplication factors sometimes become imaginary).

Either way, it's a fascinating result...