POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Every day is a school day : Every day is a school day Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Every day is a school day
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Aug 2012 08:26:38
Message: <5019207e$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I just spent my entire morning figuring out how thermionic vacuum
tubes actually work. (You know how it is once you start surfing
Wikipedia...) In the process, I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

Now, see, to me this looks like an LED display. However,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_display

suggests that there's no such thing. Now I wonder... Are there any
devices which actually use LEDs for display? Or are all the devices
which I thought were LEDs actually VFDs?

Also, I somehow ended up reading about lasers. I still have no idea how
to make one, but I did come across several /ridiculously/ cool images:

http://tinyurl.com/mxe5tn
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Laser_DSC09088.JPG

Quite why you'd be wearing combat uniform while working in a lab, I'm
not sure. Also why you'd be wearing shades in a dark room. (Although
perhaps a room with lasers in it makes this a reasonable safety precaution.)

Hmm, I wonder if I could somehow make a laser using normal air as the
optical medium?