POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Google knows best : Re: The Google knows best Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Google knows best
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 30 Jul 2012 15:51:35
Message: <5016e5c7$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/07/2012 5:20, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> I've been trying to find the post where Zeger Knaepen first introduced his
> fastclouds.inc.  (He does repost it ad hoc, but I wanted to find the
> introductory post.)  I came across one post where someone complained that the
> file was hard to find.

Try looking for "fast and easy clouds":

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C410c610e%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C410eaffb@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=362217&toff=400

Although that's a very old version

> The problem I'm finding is with the search engine itself.

using a search engine is an art, there's way too much 'noise' if you
don't know exactly what you're looking for...

> If you enter POV-Ray's search page and enter `fastclouds', The Google
> immediately ASSumes that you made a typo and gives you the results for `fast
> clouds'.  Fair enough, since It admits that you /might/ know what you want and
> offers a link to what you had asked for in the first place.  (I'd rather it give
> me what I asked for and then offer me alternative links /in case/ it was a typo,
> but either way gets me what I want.)

...and most of the time, most of the noise is actually filtered out
thanks to Google's spell checker, but if you're sure about your
writing-skill, you might want to try quotes:

https://www.google.com/search?q="fastclouds"
vs
https://www.google.com/search?q=fastclouds

> I click on that link, and It gives me the first 4 results for `fastclouds'.  But
> when I go to page 2, It forgets that I knew what I wanted, and reverts to `fast
> clouds' again!

that sounds like a bug, more than a feature, I'd fix it if I could, but
alas, I don't work at Google :)

> Apparently, if your search term doesn't meet The Google's approval, you're not
> permitted to see any search results beyond page one.

sure you are, you just have to know how :p

BTW, why do you need my original fastclouds-post? :)