POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Telling a good story : Re: Telling a good story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Telling a good story
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jul 2012 16:40:47
Message: <50144e4f$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/28/2012 12:52, Warp wrote:
> AFAIK Kubrick didn't have anything particular in mind when he made the
> final sequence. Just randomness.

Yeah. In addition, the whole movie was showing off firsts in special
effects. It was the first movie with realistic low gravity, the first movie
with matte paintings (e.g., when you see people thru the windows of the
space ship walking around), etc. It was a tremendous technological challenge
to create a visual effect like that, especially one that could be reflected
off a helmet.

> I haven't read the book (or if I have, it was really, really long time ago
> and I don't remember anything), but AFAIK Clarke tried to put some sense
> into the ending in the book, but that doesn't make the original scene in
> the movie any less random...

Yes. The ending of the book, or at least that segment, was always very
unsatisfying compared to everything else.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"