POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on ODEs : Re: Reflections on ODEs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on ODEs
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 26 Jul 2012 13:48:09
Message: <501182d9$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/26/2012 4:51 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Now I can't help but wonder... Is this a coincidence? Or some deep
> fundamental result? Is there some way of writing a solution to an
> equation like

Everything you've mentioned including the sinh and cosh stuff is a
pretty immediate consequence of how e^(a*x) differentiates and the fact
that solutions to the ODE's you're looking at are closed under linear
combinations.  Think in terms of roots of unity and you should see how
it can easily be extended to nth derivatives.