POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exercise : Exercise Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Exercise
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jul 2012 04:53:45
Message: <500e6299$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I'm competing at Blackpool again this year. Since our dance now
involves several lifts, my dance teacher ordered me to do 5 press-ups
every day. (She actually ordered my partner to do likewise, but she made
some excuse about having recently had her appendix surgically ripped out
of her tummy...)

Initially I did 5 press-ups almost every day. And it was quite hard. But
then one day I did 5 and didn't feel particularly tired, so I went on to
do 10. And now I typically do 10 press-ups most days. Thing is, I've
been doing that for many, many months now, and it's never got to the
point where I feel like I could do more than 10. (What I do sometimes do
is 10 in the morning, and another 10 in the afternoon on the same day.
This, I tell myself, counts as 20 press-ups.)

In the past I've never been able to do press-ups at all. Starting from
laying on the floor, it's difficult to achieve the necessary leverage to
get off the ground. So when I say "10 press-ups", really I'm cheating: I
start from the top rather than the bottom. And I don't go all the way
down to the ground. Usually I'm at work though, and I make sure that the
pass card dangling from my neck lays flat to the floor before I come up
again. (At least, until I get to the last couple of presses, by which
time I'm in agony...)

Presumably it's normal to feel dizzy and overheated after performing
strenuous exercise. (Not to mention doing it in a position which
restricts blood flow.) I used to find that if I did two sets of 10 in
the same day, next day my tit muscles were sore. That doesn't seem to
happen any more.

It's slightly ironic, actually. In order to lift something, you almost
always use your biceps. And yet, press-ups train the triceps, not the
biceps. But hey, I'm sure it affects your chest and shoulders too.

You would think press-ups would make your arms hurt. I find more than
anything, my wrists hurt. And my shoulders and chest. Having just said
that, when I started it used to be hard work. But lately I've been
finding that my arm joints keep clicking as I work. That doesn't sound
like a good thing to me...

The other day I walked over to the local playground (while it was
raining, so there was nobody there). I found I was able to perform about
three pull-ups before my arms completely stopped working. That's three
more than before. (!) From a dead stop, with my feet off the ground, I
was actually able to pull my entire 90 Kg body weight up so my head was
just below the metal bars. (I didn't want to nut the beam.)

Again, you'd think your arms would hurt. But more than anything, my
tummy muscles felt very strained. And I was flailing around all over the
place, so I'm probably doing this completely wrong. In the end, I
decided to go home and stop embarrassing myself. Clearly I suck at pull-ups.

All of this is pretty intense. It's high-power muscle action over short
time periods. What I really need to figure out is what I can do about
lower intensity exercise over long periods. I did consider buying a
bicycle - but let's be real here. I'm never going to ride it. It would
just be a huge waste of money. (And I don't have a hell of a lot of
money right now!) If I could go back to dancing every Saturday night,
that would help - but nobody ever seems to be available these days. I
guess I'll see what I can figure out...