POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Distribution of McDonald's' in the US : Distribution of McDonald's' in the US Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Distribution of McDonald's' in the US
From: Warp
Date: 23 Jul 2012 10:33:04
Message: <500d60a0@news.povray.org>
(I'm not exactly sure how you pluralize McDonald's. See the subject for my
attempt.)

Here's a map of all the McDonald's restaurants in the US. (Or, more
precisely, a coloration of the US based on the distance to the nearest
McDonald's.)

http://www.datapointed.net/visualizations/maps/distance-to-nearest-mcdonalds-sept-2010/

The one detail that immediately catches my eye is the clear distinction
in density between almost exactly the left half and the right half. What
explains this?

Does the right half of the US consist of mostly urban areas and the left
half mostly of rural areas? If yes, then how did this situation form,
historically speaking?