POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The job hunt continues : Re: The job hunt continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The job hunt continues
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jul 2012 18:54:09
Message: <500b3311@news.povray.org>
On 7/20/2012 14:38, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:11:39 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 7/12/2012 7:25, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> Then Y2K failed to happen (as a catastroph)
>>
>> I've never been able to figure out whether this should be "Then Y2K
>> failed to happen" or "Thus Y2K failed to happen".
>
> Clearly Y2K happened, since it's 2012.
>
> The predicted Y2K computing technology disaster is what failed to
> happen.  Planes failed to fall from the sky, the power grid failed to
> fail, the phones kept working.

I understand.

> Society failed to fall into a dark age due to technology failures.

Sure. But was it because everyone worried about it so much they were willing
to pay COBOL programmers $200K/year to fix it? Or was it just never really a
problem to start with?

Given the broadcast of the cheering from the FAA when the clocks rolled over
GMT and planes didn't fall out of the sky, I'm not totally inclined to
dismiss the first possibility.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"