POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading : Re: Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 21 Jul 2012 14:44:28
Message: <500af88c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-07-21 11:58, John VanSickle a écrit :
> On 7/20/2012 12:46 PM, clipka wrote:
>
>> Quiz: If you had highly sensitive data on your hard drive, and needed to
>> erase it for sure - would you rather trust this alleged fact, or have
>> the erasing software write random numbers just in case?
>
> Why are you disposing of a drive that still works?  In every
> organization I've worked for, especially the military ones with scads of
> sensitive information to manage, a drive was kept (and used) for as long
> as it was operational.  We simply couldn't afford to let one go if it
> was still useful.

This branching off the original topic was the need of my employer to put
the OS swapfile on an encrypted partition to prevent data leakage in
case of theft.

Why do thiefs get rid of working disks?  Because they do not have any
need for them once they have gathered the information that was on them.

> For most people, the only sensitive information on their drives is the
> passwords to their on-line activities.  You protect those by changing them.

The company directive mentioned above is not for "most people", but for
people who happen to have confidential material on their work laptops.