POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just ask Google : Re: Just ask PHP Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just ask PHP
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 20 Jul 2012 10:37:58
Message: <50096d46$1@news.povray.org>
Le 20/07/2012 12:14, Invisible a écrit :
>>>    System: Linux infong 2.4 #1 SMP Tue Jan 17 02:58:41 UTC 2012 i686
>>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> Strange, a 2.4 serie kernel compiled at the beginning of 2012.
>> 2.6 is more mainstream, and kernel has now entered the 3.2 serie
>
> According to some of the stuff I've read, the build system needs to be
> running the same kernel as the target system (or older).

Not really. As an application (unless you dive into kernel structure
with root access), you practically have to have the same libc major version.
Now the itchy part: they moved from libc-5 to libc-6 during the 2.6
series (and there is a major glitch around 2.6.19 for some aspects I
just cannot remember)

It's just that compatibility of libraries is usually ascending: features
get added, so compiling against version 1.3 allows to still run on
version 1.44

Yet, major revision are allowed to break everything... sort of.
For instance, there is a certain gap between libxerces-c.2.8 and
libxerces-c.3.0 (not sure about the exact name). Some features get
dropped and some functions are gone, for real: the dynamic linker at
runtime will never find them if the new system is only installed with 3.0;

> What are my chances of finding a Linux distro that still works and
> offers the 2.4 kernel?

An old CD-set of slackware ?