POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Other people dislike regexes too : Re: Other people dislike regexes too Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Other people dislike regexes too
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Jul 2012 12:27:28
Message: <50083570@news.povray.org>
> Having nothing but english words
> instead of various puctuation signs does not guarantee clarity.

No. But it can help a lot. I won't have to go look up what my code
snippet does if I come back to it in 6 months' time.

>> Have I ever mentioned that I also really hate Perl?
>>
>> Of course, the only reason that anybody ever uses Perl is because it has
>> built-in regex support. This, together with low-level text munging, is
>> literally ALL PERL DOES! >_<
>
> Yes, and a all a hammer does is push (and in some cases pull) on nails.
> It doesn't mean that a hammer is not useful, or the best tool for that
> particular job.
>
> Text munging is a big part of many people's lives. (If you consider
> sysadmins to be people, of course)

The thing is, text munging is fundamentally /wrong/. It's something that
should be avoided at all costs. So an entire language designed to
perform a task that you shouldn't perform in the first place...