POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just ask Google : Re: Just ask Google Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just ask Google
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 19 Jul 2012 10:17:49
Message: <5008170d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-07-18 10:39, clipka a écrit :
> Am 18.07.2012 16:28, schrieb Francois Labreque:
>> Le 2012-07-17 10:34, Invisible a écrit :
>>> Typically the host sets up a special folder, and any files within it are
>>> considered to be CGI scripts in whatever language the server is
>>> hard-coded to accept. (Or /maybe/ based on the filename.) Presumably
>>> you'd have to find a host that allows executable binaries...
>>
>> On Apache, it _is_ done by filename.  Since the host has to "chmod" the
>> files to make them executable (on *NIX), it probably automagically does
>> this on a specific set of file extensions.  so you need to find out what
>> extensions are supported.
>
> Comes as a surprise to me, given that it's Unix customary practice to
> identify file types by signatures.

I meant to say that a web hosting service might have some automated
process that would automatically chmod +x any file with the .pl or .cgi
extension that the user uploads to his or her cgi-bin/ directory,
whereas a .jpg or .html wouldn't be chmodded.

And you are right, Unices do use file signatures to determine what to do
with them, that's why I told Andy that if he uploaded a compiled Haskell
binary and simply named it "andy.pl" it might run anyway as the web
server would more than likely issue a system() call and let the OS
figure out what to do with it.